Tumblr VS deviantART- Flex McCool
Ok so here’s the question I have to ponder. I can’t help but notice that a heck of a lot of artists on deviantART also have tumblr blogs. So does this mean that tumblr can act as a good complimentary resource to deviantART and/or vice versa? Or is it some other reason that deviantART users are also frequently tumblr users? Something to think about….
Cracking The Artistic Code - Flex McCool
In one episode of Big Bang Theory, the character Sheldon tries to develop a scientific universal equation for comedy. Everybody thought it was impossible as comedy isn’t based on math but is rather something a bit more human. Ironically I wrote a post up a while ago about comedy as an art (click here to see it). So my brother and I later had a big debate about art being the result of a fixed mental algorithm or not. I argued that there’s a possible system we’re born with to figure out aesthetics but that system changes through our experiences and is likely altered over time. He argued there was some unchanging magic equation that exists in all of us that determines what defines good art.
His argument included:
- Art theory has to come from somewhere
- Human beings are too similar to not have common ground
- An equation that versatile is unlikely to exist
My argument included:
- Art theory is rather loose and not mathematical, it revolves around elements and rules that can very easily be broken (see outsider artists for a good example)
- People have very different tastes visually and are not as similar as some people like to think
- The human mind is adaptive not fixed so any equation it has must be versatile
In the end I stand by my perspective and he by his. However, this is a question that I think many people will take their own stance on. So who do you think is right in this debate or is there an alternative option that the two of us may not have considered? That is a question for you to decide.
- A) Bright
- B) Full of success
- C) Ends in 2012
- D) Made with cheese